Guide to Museums and Sites of the Great War
in France and Belgium

Compiled from various sources including "Guide to Museums and Sites of the Great War"
(Association Internationale des Sites et Musées de la Guerre de 1914-1918) and "Muséeoguide"
(Secrétariat d'Etat aux Anciens Combattants), "La Picardie. Le Guide des Offices de Tourisme et Syndicats d'Initiative de Picardie".


BELGIUM


HERINNERINGSMUSEUM "YPRES SALIENT 1914-18"
The collection movingly displays the destruction of an ancient town, the misery and distress experienced by soldiers and civilians at war. It includes personal possessions and papers belonging to German, Belgian, British and French soldiers who fought on the Ypres front.

Open: 01/04 -1 5/11 (closed on Mondays)
9.00 -12.00 / 13.30 -17 -30
Entrance: Individuals: 50 Belgian Francs
Groups :20 -30 Belgian Francs

Grote Markt 34
B -8900 IEPER
Tel. 05.57.20.26.23
Fax 05.57.21.85.89


FRANCE


P A S - D E - C A L A I S


NOTRE-DAME DE LORETTE MEMORIAL
Artois battles 1915 -100 000 dead, an important French site. National military cemetery with 20 000 graves and 8 ossuaries (22 000 unknown dead). The crypt holds the Unknown Soldiers from 1939-45, Indochina, Algeria, and the ashes of a Deportee from the Second World War.

Open throughout the year, entrance free

Monument de Notre-Dame de Lorette
ABLAIN SAINT-NAZAIRE
62153 SOUCHEZ
Tel. 03.21.45.15.80


NOTRE -DAME-DE-LORETTE MUSEUM OF 1914-1918
Set on top of Notre-Dame-de-Lorette hill. Outstanding reconstruction displays. Collection of 2 000 items. Animated laser effects. Battlefield.

Open daily, 9.00-20.00
Special entrance rates for groups and students
Individuals, 10-20 francsM

Musée Vivant 1914-1918 de Notre-Dame-de-Lorette
62154 ABLAIN SAINT-NAZAIRE
Tel. 03.21.45.15.80
Fax 03.21.59.17.76


LA TARGETTE MUSEUM
Two kilometres from the Vimy Memorial. Presentation of battles of the First and Second World Wars, with over 3 500 items, original stereoscopic views of the war and laser sound effects.

Open daily, 9.00-20.00
Special entrance rates for groups and students
Individual entrance, 10-20 francs

Musée de la Targette
48, rue Nationale
62580 NEUVILLE ST VAAST
Tel. & Fax: 03.21.59.17.76


CANADIAN MONUMENT AND MEMORIAL PARK
The park, set round one of the finest commemorative monuments, has restored trenches and tunnels and is planted with trees from Canada in memory of the terrible offensive of 9 April 1917.

Tunnels: free guided visits from April to 30 November, 10.00-17.30
Park: open all year from 8.00 -dusk. Entrance free

Monument & Parc Commémoratifs du Canada
62580 VIMY (signposted route)
Tel. 03.21.48.72.29
Fax 03.21.58.58.34


S O M M E


HISTORIAL DE LA GRANDE GUERRE
1914-18 described by the principal combatant nations, showing life at the front and in the rear. Trilingual museum, opened in 1992. Temporary exhibitions, documentation centre, conferences, educational service, research centre. Shop, cafeteria.

Open: 18 January -30 April: 10.00-17.00 (closed Mondays)
1 May-30 September: 10.00-18.00 daily
1 October -19 December: 10.00-17 30 (closed Mondays)

Entrance: groups, 32 francs
individual, 20-39 francs

Historial de la Grande Guerre
Château de Péronne
B.P. 63 -80201 PERONNE Cedex
Tel.03.22.83.14.18
Fax 03.22.83.54.18


RANCOURT MEMORIAL CHAPEL
Private Souvenir Français memorial chapel built in memory of French soldiers killed during the Somme offensive in 1916. Managed by the Foyer Rural of SAILLY-SAILLISEL, with display of material, documents and battlefield items.

Access (free) to chapel throughout the year.
Opening hours vary with the time of year.

CHAPELLE-MEMORIAL DU SOUVENIR FRANÇAIS
R.N. 17
80360 RANCOURT
Tel. 03.22.85.04.47 (Warden)
Fax 03.22.85.09.15 (M. Van Hamme)


"SOMME 1916" SHELTERS MUSEUM
At the historic heart of the Battle of the Somme, the Museum realistically presents the life of front-line soldier. Set in an air-raid shelter built in 1939.

Open daily
1 March -30 November: 10.00-12.00/ 14.00-18.00
July-August: 10.00-18.00
Entrance: groups,15 francs
individuals, 10-20 francs

Musée des Abris "Somme 1916"
Rue Anicet Godin (near Basilique)
80300 ALBERT
Tel. 03.22.75.16.17
Fax 03.22.74.38.30 (Town Hall)


DELVILLE WOOD MEMORIAL AND MUSEUM
Site and buildings commemorating the South African participation, mainly in the First World War. Shop, café.

Open: February -November (closed Mondays, public holidays).
Entrance free

Mémorial et Musée du Bois Delville
80360 LONGUEVAL
Tel. 03.22.85.02.17
Fax 03.22.85.13.60


ULSTER MEMORIAL TOWER AND VISITOR CENTRE
Memorial and museum commemorating Ulster soldiers, particularly those of the 36th Northern Irish Division in action on 1 July 1916. Exhibition, audio-visual presentation. Café.

Open: February -November,
Entrance free

 

Ulster Memorial Tower and Visitor Centre
Route de St Pierre Divion
80300 THIEPVAL
Tel. 03.22.74 87.14
Fax 03.22.74.80.68


NEWFOUNDLAND MEMORIAL PARK AND MONUMENT
Preserved battlefield with trenches, where the Royal Newfoundland Regiment was wiped out on 1 July 1916.

Open: throughout the year
Entrance free

Monument et Parc Commémoratifs de Terre-Nerve
Rue de l'Eglise
80300 HAMEL
Tel. 03.22.76.20.22
Fax 03.22.76.49.88


"THE LITTLE TRAIN OF THE HAUTE SOMME"
Museum of military and industrial railways. Rides in a steam or diesel train beside the canal, with original track and rolling stock. Display of 1914-1918 railway stock. Classified historic site.

Open: 1 May -30 September, Sundays and public holidays.
Trains available for private hire
Daily: FROISSY station (near BRAY -SUR-SOMME, D 329)

"LE P'TIT TRAIN DE LA HAUTE SOMME"
Information:
A.P.P.E.V.A.J
B. P. 106 -80001 AMIENS Cedex 1
Tel. 03.22.44.55.40
Fax 03.22.44.04.99


FRANCO-AUSTRALIAN MUSEUM
Two kilometres from the Australian National Memorial, a simple and moving evocation of the life of the "Diggers"; who suffered the highest percentage of losses of all nations in the war. Information and display, audio-visual room.

Open: Saturday, 14.00-18.00.
Other days: by appointment at the Mairie. Entrance free

Musée Franco-Australien
Ecole Victoria -9, rue Victoria
80380 VILLERS-BRETONNEUX
Tel. (Mairie) 03.22.48.03.06
Fax (Mairie) 03.22.48.39.47


JOINT COMMAND HALL
General Foch was proclaimed Commander in Chief of the Allied Armies in the Town Hall on 26 March 1918. A very fine stained glass window, two paintings by Lucien Jonas and the Conference Table recall this historic event.

Guided visits on request. Tel. 03.22.32.40.05
Entrance free, normal working days, 8.00-18.00

Salle du Commandement Unique-
Hotel de Ville
2, Avenue Foch
80600 DOULLENS
Tel. 03.22.77.00.07
Fax 03.22.32.43.45


O I S E


MURAL MEMORIAL MUSEUM
An important collection of pictorial records carved in underground quarries by French, German and American soldiers. (Casts)

Open: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday: 14.30-18.30
Entrance: Individuals, 20 Francs -Groups, 18 Francs

Musée de la ldémoire Murale 14-18
Impasse Jules Ferry
60550 VERNEUIL EN HALATTE
Tel. 03.44.25.30.10 (M.S. RAMOND)
Fax 03.44.25.39.02 (Mairie)


ARMISTICE CLEARING
The Armistice Wagon, link between the two World Wars, 1914-1918 and 1939- 1945. Museum with stereoscopic display, new 1918 and 1940 halls, numerous memorials.

Open daily except Tuesdays:
9.00-12.00/14.00-17.30, winter
9.00-12.30/14.00-18.00, summer

Clairière de l'Armistice
RETHONDES
(sign-posted route to the RN 31
5 km from Compiègne)
Tel. 03.44.85.14.18


A I S N E


NATIONAL MUSEUM OF FRANCO-AMERICAN COOPERATION
Unique collection of souvenirs and documents relating to American humanitarian aid during both World Wars. Library, Archives, 18th-20th century Franco-American relations.

Open daily except Tuesday: 10.0012.30 /14.00-17.00
Entrance: 10-15 francs

Musée National de la Coopération Franco-Américaine
Château de Blérancourt
02300 BLERANCOURT
Tel. 03.23.39.60.16
Fax 03.23.39.62.85


LE MEMORIAL, MUSEE DU SOUVENIR 1914-1918
Small private museum of WWI material in the back of a café-restaurant.
Off route D1, south of St. Quentin.

Information:
Frédéric CAMUS
Le Mémorial
Musée du Souvenir 1914-1918
1, rue des Marronniers
02690 ESSIGNY-LE-GRAND
Tel. 03 23 63 38 16


CAVERNE DU DRAGON
Museum in a cave, part of a former stone quarry at the centre of the Chemin des Dames, occupied by German and French troops.

Open daily except Tuesdays: 10.300-12 00/14.00-18.00
Entrance: Individuals 15 francs
Groups and children, 10 francs

Caverne du Dragon
D 18 -"Chemin des Dames"
Oulches la Vallée Foulon
02160 BEAURIEUX (signposted route)
Tel. 03.23.22.44.90


SOISSONS UNDERGROUND QUARRIES
The soldier-artist: in a Soissons stone quarry you will see bas-reliefs, graffiti, heraldic shields, chapels; and discover the soul, the faith. the ideals and also the daily life of the French soldier of 1914.

Tours of the Confrecourt Quarries: March - October, by appointment~

Carrières souterraines du Soissonnais
Office de Tourisme Soissons -Tel. 03.23.53.17.37
Association "Soissonnais 14-18" Tel. 03.23.74.25.90
Ferme de Confrécourt
02290 NOVRON-VINGRE


M A R N E


BATTLES OF THE MARNE MEMORIAL AND DORMANS OSSUARY
National memorial with crypt and chapel. The ossuary holds the remains of 1 500 soldiers and the death mask of Marshal FOCH. Memorial column.

Open: May-November, Saturday 14.30-18.00
Sunday, 10.00-12.00/14.30-18.00
13 June-30August:daily, 14.30-18:00
Entrance free

Information:
Mémorial des Batailles de la Marne et Ossuaire des Dormans
Mairie
51700 DORMANS
Tel. 03.26.58.21.45
Fax 03.26.58.25.55


NAVARIN FARM OSSUARY MEMORIAL
Set among surviving trench lines, the work of the sculptor REAL DEL SARTE. Chapel and crypt containing the remains of 10 000 soldiers and the tomb of General GOURAUD

Open: May-October, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday 13.30-18.00
Entrance free
Monument Ossuaire de Navarin D77
35km north of Châlon sur Marne


Information:
M. R. de GRAMMONT
51600 SOUAIN
Tel. 03.26.70.11.82


M E U S E


BUTTE DE VAUQUOIS
Official listed 1914-1918 site, the most important location of the "War of the Mines". Guided tours of underground galleries and free access to the Mine craters path.

Open: 1st Sunday of each month -1 May 8 May

Information:
Butte de Vauqois
Association des Amis de Vauquois et de sa region
55270 VAUQUOIS
Tel. 03.29.80.73.15


MEMORIAL DE VERDUN
Standing on the site of the 1916 battle and inaugurated by Maurice GENEVOIX. Its display of materials and substantial documentation commemorate the combatants.

Open: 15 January -31 March and 1 October -14 December: 9.00-12.00/14.00-18.00
1 April -30 September: 9.00-18.00
Entrance: adults, 20 francs -11-15 years, 10 francs

Mémorial de Verdun.
1, Avenue du Corps Européen|
55100 FLEURY devant DOUAUMONT
Tel. 03.29.84.35.34-
Fax 03.29.84.45.54


DOUAUMONT OSSUARY
Privately established without public funding, the Douaumont Ossuary holds the remains of 130 000 unknown French and German soldiers in a single resting-place. Audovisual presentation (film, The Heroism of the Verdun Soldier).

Open: 1 March -30 November
Entrance: -Ossuary: free
Audio-visual: Adults 15 Francs -Children 9 Francs.
Groups: apply for information

Ossuaire de Douaumont
55100 DOUAUMONT
Tel. 03.29.84.54.81
Fax: 03.29.86.56.54


VERDUN BATTLEFIELDS
Open-air museum of 1916 near Verdun, from Avocourt to Les Eparges. Remains of fortifications, land heavily disturbed by shell-fire, craters, etc. Twelve signposted walks. Multilingual signs.

Open all year -Entrance free

Information:
Association nationale du souvenir de la bataille de Verdun
et de la sauvegarde de ses hauts-lieux
1, Avenue du Corps Européen
55100 FLEURY devant DOUAUMONT
Tel. 03.29.84.35.34
Fax 03.29.84.45.54


FORTS of DOUAUMONT and VAUX
Part of the fortified Séré de Rivère line, the major strategic positions of Douaumont and Vaux forts were fiercely fought over in 1916.

Open throughout the year, hours varying according to season
Signposted routes
Entrance: Individual, 8-15 francs
Groups, 13 francs

Information:
Office de Tourisme de VERDUN
Tel. 03.29.86.14.18
Fax 03.29.84.22.42


UNDERGROUND CITADEL
Reconstruction-tour, unique in Europe, presenting the daily life of the French soldier in 15 scenes: trench warfare and the selection of the Unknown Soldier. Tour by miniature train.

Open throughout the year
Entrance; Individuals, 15/30 Francs
Groups, 25 Francs

Citadelle Souterraine
15, Avenue du 5éme. R. A.P.
55100 VERDUN
Tel. 03.29.86.14.18
Fax 03.29.84.22.42


FORT DE TROYON
Built in 1878, outstanding design in stone, "Séré de Rivière" style.
It prevented Verdun from being surrounded in September 1914.
Botanic walk.

Open: from Easter to 30 November
Guided tours daily, 14.00-19.00 (1hour)

Fort de Troyon
CD 964, 25 km South of Verdun

Information: Mairie
55300 LACROIX-SUR-MEUSE
Tel. 03.29.90.16.95
(M. ClaudeFRANCOIS)


V O S G E S


TETE-DES-FAUX
The highest battlefield in the Vosges (1219 m), classified historic site.
Impressive setting, unique panoramic Views, substantial remains. Footpaths to explore.

Open throughout the year, free.

Gite de l'Etang du Devin
68650 LAPOUTROIE (access via the village of Le Bonhomme)
Tel. 03.89.47.20.29

Information:
"Dialogues Transvosgiens"
Tel. 03.89.27.48.26
Fax 03.89.27.05.58


LE LINGE MEMORIAL
Classified historic site. 1915 battlefield: particularly impressive German and French trenches. Museum: written accounts, photographs, cards, uniforms, weapons, personal possessions. Slide presentation with period photographs.

Open: 14 April -11 November, 9.00-12.50/14.00-18.00

RD 48 -68370 ORBEY
(near the Col du WETTSTEIN)
height 986 m

Postal address:
Mémorial du Linge
B.P. 173 -68003 COLMAR Cedex
Tel. 03.89.77.29.97 / 03.89.41.03.27


HARTMANNSWILLERKOPF NATIONAL MEMORIAL
"Viel Armand" (Hartmannswillerkopf) national memorial National Altar built 32HMEM a crypt containing the remains of 12 000 French soldiers.

Open: 1 April -31 October :8 3012.00/14.00-18.30
Entrance: Adults 5 francs -Children and groups (10+),4 francs

Monument National de l'Hartmannsnvillerkopf
Route des Crêtes (D 431)
68700 WATTWILLER

Information . Office du Tourisme de Cernay
Tel.03.89.75.50.35 : M. R. ZIMMERMANN
President du Monument National du Vieil Armand
Tel. 03.89.23.12.03


HARTMANNSWILLERKOPF BATTLEFIELD ("VIEIL ARMAND")
Remains of the Great War along the hilltop Route des Crêtes: shelters and trenches, memorials and private monuments, cemeteries.

Free access throughout the year, guided tours on request.

Information:
"Les Amis de "Hartmannswillerkopf '
49, Route de Cernay
68500 HARTMANNSWILLER
Tel. 03.89.76:73.14
Fax 03.89.76.79.57


ASSOCIATIONS, ORGANISATIONS


VOLKSBUND DEUTSCHE KRIEGSGRAEBERFUERSORGE
(S.E.S.M.A.) Association responsible under a Franco-German agreement for the care and upkeep of German military cemeteries (France-Benelux: 210 from 1914-18 and 27 from 1939- 45), open to visitors at all times.

Service d'Entretien des Sépultures Militaires Allemandes
S.E.S.M.A.
9, rue du Pré Chaudron
B.P. 5123
57074 METZ Cedex 3
Tel. 03.87.74.75.76
Fax 03.87.74.76.04


THE AMERICAN BATTLE MONUMENTS COMMISSION
This official agency of the United States Government is responsible for
the maintenance of American cemeteries overseas.

Sites open throughout the year, entrance free

69, rue du 19 janvier
92380 GARCHES
Tel. 02.47.01.19.76
Fax 02.47.41.19.79



COMMONWEALTH WAR GRAVES COMMISSION
The Commission maintains the graves of Commonwealth soldiers
killed during the two World Wars, builds monuments to the memory
of those who have no known grave and preserves records and registers.

Sites open throughout the year, entrance free

Rue Angéle Richard
62217 BEAURAINS
Tel. 03.21.71.03.24
Fax 03.21.71.39.22


THE WESTERN FRONT ASSOCIATION
4 500 members, in 47 regional and international branches, who preserve the memory of 1914-18. Members' services
include research, talks, journals, specialised information and trench maps.

Owner of the BUTTE DE WARLENCOURT
(Pas de Calais) -D 928 Free access at all times.

Information and membership rates:
THE WESTERN FRONT ASSOCIATION
PO Box 1914
READING RG4 7YP
Great Britain